Understanding Addiction and Supporting Recovery
This course provides an introduction to addiction and recovery. Participants will learn about models of addiction, the effects of substances on the brain and body, identifying signs and symptoms of addiction to substances, behavioral addictions, and options for support and treatment. This interactive class will support in challenging personal biases and fighting against the stigma of addiction.
- List a range of commonly used illicit, prescribed and over-the-counter substances and the impact on the brain and body.
- Describe the risk factors, criteria, signs, and symptoms of substance use disorder.
- Identify the spectrum of treatment modalities and recovery pathways to help people with substance use disorders and behavioral addictions.
- Learn about common behavioral addictions and types of treatment and support groups available.
- Gain understanding of how bias and stigma impact individuals with addictions.