Advocates for Human Potential (AHP) works with clients at the tough intersection of “but that’s how we’ve always done it” and the cutting edge of change, where many ACOs and CPS are today: developing coordinated and integrated service delivery, documentation, and payment systems. They‘ve successfully supported systems change in CA, WA, IL, and NY, where similar DSRIP efforts have been enacted to create integrated and coordinated health care delivery systems. As a top technical assistance provider for SAMHSA, HRSA, DOL, VA, and HUD, and their community-based grantees, AHP has an extremely knowledgeable roster of staff to carry out this work. AHP focuses on practical strategies and results, using a variety of methods -brief or longer-term consultation, onsite and virtual training, and individualized virtual coaching in all nine domains.
WHAT MAKES THIS VENDOR UNIQUE
- AHP is known for customizing TA to clients’ specific needs and being flexible and collaborative in its delivery while staying focused on high efficiency, low costs, and improved outcomes for their clients.
- AHP is recognized as a national leader in advancing evidence-based behavioral health prevention, treatment, and recovery services for over 32 years. Over that time, they’ve learned that systems change is a journey that is usually achieved incrementally and with ongoing support. AHP has created a flexible model of TA that includes focused trainings such as workshops but also long-term supports such as strategic planning and ongoing coaching.
- The AHP team may help an organization train staff on how to do brief screening for substance use (SBIRT: screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment), but they know that it takes much more than a one-time training to make it work. They might also help set up the electronic health record (EHR) system to document this information; adjust workflows and billing practices to support the implementation of and payment for SBIRT; recruit staff such as peer specialists, addiction counselors, or social workers; develop a referral network and collaboration with other providers for continuity in care for people who screen positive for needed intervention; and support a planned rollout to effectively implement SBIRT.
A SUCCESSFUL TA EXPERIENCE
AHP worked with a large Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health to improve the management and control of a large chronic diabetes and hypertension population, and outcome data showed that both conditions improved. Critical barriers successfully mitigated included acquiring key clinical support staff, upgrading care management capability of the EHRs, and remapping data points to ensure accuracy and repeatability.
The statements in this document are made solely by Advocates for Human Potential. No statement in this document should be construed as an official position of or endorsement by Abt Associates Inc. or the Massachusetts Executive Office of Health and Human Services.
ABOUT ADVOCATES FOR HUMAN POTENTIAL
Advocates for Human Potential, Inc. (AHP) is a research and consulting firm focused on improving health and human services systems. Their mission is to develop real-world solutions for systems change in their work with states, communities, programs, and federal agencies. For nearly 40 years AHP has provided research and evaluation, technical assistance and training, system and program development, resource development, and professional consulting services.
ORGANIZATION FUN FACTS
- People join AHP and stay for years because they love what they do and have a chance to make a difference.
- AHP was certified as a Great Place to Work in Massachusetts because of staff’s passion for the work and their collaborative work culture.
- AHP always has chocolate available in their lunch room!
QUOTES FROM CLIENTS
“The knowledge and professionalism that AHP brought to NYSARC were exceptional. The sensitivity and political skills that AHP employed during our association won the respect of not only the NYSARC administration but throughout our numerous divisions. Change is never easy, but the manner in which AHP presented the new environment while being sensitive to our existing culture afforded the organization to begin the difficult but essential process of adapting to a new way of managing.” – Marc N. Brandt, Executive Director, NYSARC.
“AHP are the go-to people if you are in the behavioral health industry and need strategic guidance in the rapidly changing world of health care administration, delivery, and finance. They have a wealth of knowledge and resources on top of a creative and engaging style of consulting. They work at the highest levels of government and industry to successfully shepherd us through the transformations in the industry. AHP will bring this unique perspective to their work with you whether you represent a large government agency or a small nonprofit provider or an insurance/financing interest.” – Cindy Meyers, Buckelew Programs, San Rafael, California.