We are committed to patient-centered care and have proven experience working with health entities and consumers. Our co-design process helps to uncover opportunities for improvements and transforming care. Our clients value meaningful consumer engagement. With trainings, facilitated discussions, expert consultation, and tools like our Change Package, we help to establish effective mechanisms to engage with members/consumers to improve health outcomes and reduce health inequities. Our approach helps health entities learn from their members/patients who directly bear the burden of factors such as racism and cultural insensitivity.
WHAT MAKES THIS VENDOR UNIQUE
- Our mission is to organize a powerful consumer voice to ensure that all individuals can influence decisions affecting their health. We are a unique vendor, interested in working with organizations committed to transforming the care delivery system to advance equity and racial justice.
- Our staff of experienced public health experts, policy analysts, attorneys, and community organizers assist organizations in moving pro-consumer policies and practices.
- Our strength is in helping to establish effective consumer engagement processes and structures for ACOs, public programs, hospitals, research institutions and others.
A SUCCESSFUL TA EXPERIENCE
We established an effective consumer advisory board (CAB) for an organization to ensure meaningful consumer engagement in their research work. They were interested in bringing the perspective and experience of Medicaid beneficiaries into their research. Previously, they had no ongoing structure for this. We developed a charter, recruitment plan, and an orientation for CAB members and staff. The CAB had clear responsibilities and was structured with bi-directional accountability. The CAB is being utilized by research staff to help them in designing their work.
The statements in this document are made solely by Community Catalyst. No statement in this document should be construed as an official position of or endorsement by Abt Associates Inc. or the Massachusetts Executive Office of Health and Human Services.
ABOUT COMMUNITY CATALYST
Community Catalyst (CC) has more than two decades of success working on the ground in more than 40 states and across the stakeholder spectrum – with consumer advocates, academics, state and federal policymakers, and industry – to examine problems and identify practical solutions to improve the consumer health care experience. The Center for Consumer Engagement in Health Innovation at CC has expertise on state and federal health innovation, including staff member involvement in the creation of the Commonwealth Care Alliance, a groundbreaking delivery system in Massachusetts, to shaping the design of demonstration projects for people dually eligible for Medicare and Medicaid in more than a dozen states. The Center has established a Consumer Engagement Hub which includes a framework, principles, leading practices, a Change Package to guide health plans/ACOs/hospitals in establishing person-centered engagement structures, materials co-designed with patients and their caregivers, and other resources that help organizations accomplish their consumer engagement objectives.
ORGANIZATION FUN FACTS
- In 2020, we provided technical assistance to consumer health advocacy organizations in nearly every state and invested $12.9 Million through128 grants in 40 states.
- We worked with the Health Care Transformation Task Force to create a Change Package to guide leaders and staff at ACOs, hospitals, large medical practices, health clinics, and more to establish meaningful person-centered engagement structures at the organizational level.
- We love our work with clients who value the insight and wisdom of consumers.
QUOTES FROM CLIENTS
- “Thank you for leading our racial justice project meeting. As always, you helped us move forward and honor our commitments, while also making sure all voices are valued and included in the process. You have helped us put community and equity at the center of our work.” Client, CEO Community Coalition
- “Community Catalyst gave us a lens through which to examine and think about the engagement of older adults in our program. You examined our more traditional approach to engaging patients and family caregivers and provided us with options to consider for doing this work differently; we needed that. We benefitted from your expertise and appreciated the time you took to help us process their findings and recommendations.” Client, Project Director