Our TA will provide ACOs and/or CPs with a conceptual framework for oral health integration along with actionable steps for improving medical-dental care delivery. The TA will be clearly communicated and based on sound evidence that will include examples of successful oral health integration initiatives underway in Massachusetts and other states.
WHAT MAKES THIS VENDOR UNIQUE
- We have been transforming the health policy landscape since 1998.
- Our staff of experienced policy analysts, attorneys, community organizers, and communications specialists works with organizations in more than 40 states.
- We have assisted organizations in moving pro-consumer health policy.
- We helped secure provisions in the Affordable Care Act making health insurance more affordable for consumers, creating innovative models of care for older adults and people with disabilities and strengthening the community benefit obligations of non-profit hospitals.
- Working with our partners, we have contributed to wide-reaching reforms in many areas including Medicaid policy, prescription drug prices, and diversity in the health care workforce including a long standing campaign to authorize dental therapists.
- Since 1985, HCFA has worked statewide to connect individuals and families to quality, affordable health coverage; educate and engage consumers in health policy discussions; and advocate for consumer-centered health care access, delivery, and payment reforms.
- HCFA leads several broad policy coalitions, including the Oral Health Advocacy Taskforce (OHAT), which promotes state support for addressing the oral health needs of all persons in the Commonwealth, including integrating oral health into the broader health care system.
- HCFA’s direct service program, the Consumer Assistance HelpLine, takes some 20,000 calls a year, assisting people seeking to enroll in or troubleshoot issues with health coverage. It also informs HCFA’s coalition and policy work to develop systems-level solutions that address health care access barriers.
A SUCCESSFUL TA EXPERIENCE
We provided TA to three community-based organizations in Arizona who were working together to improve oral health care policies. CC’s training and TA helped the groups successfully pass legislation to authorize dental therapy in Arizona.
The statements in this document are made solely by Community Catalyst. No statement in this document should be construed as an official position of or endorsement by Abt Associates Inc. or the Massachusetts Executive Office of Health and Human Services.
ABOUT COMMUNITY CATALYST
The Center for Consumer Engagement in health innovation builds upon Community Catalyst’s many years of success working on the ground in more than 40 states and across the stakeholder spectrum—with advocates, academics, state and federal policymakers and industry—to examine problems and identify practical solutions to improve the consumer health care experience. The Center’s team has honed their expertise as leaders in state and federal health innovations—from the creation of the Commonwealth Care Alliance, a groundbreaking delivery system in Massachusetts, to shaping the design of demonstration projects for people dually eligible for Medicare and Medicaid in more than a dozen states.
ORGANIZATION FUN FACTS
The Partnership: Community Catalyst (CC) and Health Care For All (HCFA) are close partners in many projects. CC was formed 20 years ago by the founders of HCFA, who wanted to apply the lessons learned in Massachusetts throughout the country. Although the two organizations have separate budgets and boards, they share a common office with joint administrative staff and unified financial and human resources systems. The synergies of bringing together state and national perspectives allows CC and HFCA to leverage each other’s expertise and experience. This is particularly true for the oral health work, which has long included joint projects and close cooperation.
In 2017, Community Catalyst:
- – Provided technical assistance to health advocacy organizations in 44 states
- – Invested $4.5 million in 29 states
- – Supported campaigns to authorize dental therapists in five states, including Washington where legislation successfully passed in 2017.
- – Served 3,693 active users of In The Loop, a national online community for enrollment assisters
- -Galvanized grassroots support to fight against repeal of the ACA
In 2017, HCFA:
- – Answered 19,807 consumer calls
- – Assisted 2,201 consumers enrolled in health coverage
- – Supported 716 enrollment assisters through our Massachusetts In The Loop online network
- – Generated 148 mentions/quotes in news outlets
- – Participated in 24 rallies & public events
- – Issued 17 press statements
- – Lead advocacy efforts for 13 legislative bills
QUOTES FROM CLIENTS
“Community Catalyst has been great to work with. They have the provided useful information and knowledge. But most important they helped us move forward our oral health policy agenda through guided conversations that allowed us to arrive at concrete steps and helped us to put those into action.” -Client, Director of Health Policy