Over the last three decades, our team has developed durable system designs, sustainable financing and evidence based service delivery strategies for Massachusetts’ complex behavioral health market. We help Community Partners and emerging Accountable Care Organizations think through the operational details, changes in workflows and financing required to succeed in bending the cost curve for MassHealth clients. We expanded our team for this TA work to include specialists in substance addiction policy, operations management at integrated health centers and the development of provider owned health plans.
WHAT MAKES THIS VENDOR UNIQUE
We bring our roots in community practice to our work with purchasers and policymakers. We have long understood the critical importance of addressing social determinants of health and barriers to health care. We have developed skills, tools and techniques to center the voices of consumers and facilitate conversations with peer staff, front-line staff, and system administrators about their needs, challenges, and solutions. We help our clients understand the communities we serve and our local community-based resources. We incorporate stakeholder perspectives into evidence-based and measurement-driven collaboration, management and financing strategies.
A SUCCESSFUL TA EXPERIENCE
We adapted Massachusetts’ accreditation-focused approach to its federally-required Peer Review process for state-funded addiction treatment. To do this, we incorporated a dynamic quality improvement process from the Network for the Improvement of Addiction Treatment that’s been used for 15 years. Participants said they valued the opportunity to learn from and adopt each other’s practices and tools, and some have reported transformative change. Federal Project Officers have praised the program.
The statements in this document are made solely by DMA Health Strategies. No statement in this document should be construed as an official position of or endorsement by Abt Associates Inc. or the Massachusetts Executive Office of Health and Human Services.
ABOUT DMA HEALTH STRATEGIES
DMA’s mission is to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of behavioral health and human services through the design and implementation of evidence based programs, proven management and measurement practices, and through consumer-directed services. The DMA team accomplishes this through facilitated strategic planning, organizational change management, policy research, data and project management.
ORGANIZATION FUN FACTS
- Our office is in the heart of Lexington and looks out on the Minuteman Bikeway, a very popular and well-travelled bike path, which is sometimes used by local llamas.
- For a decade, we have supported BasicNeeds US (a 501c(3)) and its network of programs across sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia that address the health, social, and economic needs of people with mental illness and neurological disorders.
QUOTES FROM CLIENTS
- A substance use disorder provider participating in our facilitated Peer Review process said: “Reviewing another program [in the same Level of Care] gave me some great ideas for my own program and also validated the benefit of recent changes I have made since taking the position of program director.” – Anonymous
- We led the design, development of and supports Massachusetts Department of Public Health’s Bureau of Substance Addiction Services’ “Careers of Substance” website, which received an award from the Annapolis Coalition. “The overall quality of the design; the functionality of the site; its breadth of content; its practical utility for diverse audiences; and the ongoing commitment to maintain the site and continually refine it make it a model.” -Client, Ph.D., Senior Advisor
- We assisted a Foundation, which was “struggling to get through the complex regulations and red tape but with your help we now have our mental health license and insurance contracts. We couldn’t have done it without you.” -Client, President and CEO