ICH has worked with hospitals, community health centers and community-based organizations on projects across a variety of topics and TA domains. Our experienced team is adept at tailoring approaches to meet the needs of a diverse set of clients and partners. This flexibility allows us to accurately identify an organization’s unique needs and assets, and develop an effective plan to meet those needs. We have methodological expertise in collecting and analyzing both qualitative and quantitative data, and using data to develop actionable strategies and recommendations. We take a multidisciplinary, team-based approach, and work closely with our clients, communicating frequently, and eliciting stakeholder feedback throughout the life of the project. Our participatory approach has led to long-term partnerships over multiple engagements.
WHAT MAKES THIS VENDOR UNIQUE
- Our collaborative and flexible approach ensures that all of our clients receive customized services that meet their individual needs.
- We prioritize building long-term partnerships.
- We emphasize feasibility and make sure project designs are both methodologically sound and practical to implement.
- Usability of results is a guiding principle of all our work. From beginning to end, we strive to make sure project results can be used to drive decision-making and action.
A SUCCESSFUL TA EXPERIENCE
We supported a community health center to design and implement a Community Resource Specialist (CRS) program to connect patients to social services and help clinical providers work at the top of their license. We facilitated discussions to design the CRS role, created a detailed performance monitoring plan, supported feedback gathering from patients, and analyzed CRS impact on clinic revenue. As a result, the clinic was able to effectively integrate CRSs into their teams and secure funding to retain the role.
The statements in this document are made solely by Institute for Community Health. No statement in this document should be construed as an official position of or endorsement by Abt Associates Inc. or the Massachusetts Executive Office of Health and Human Services.
ABOUT INSTITUTE FOR COMMUNITY HEALTH
The Institute for Community Health (ICH) is a Malden, MA-based non-profit consulting organization. ICH provides participatory evaluation, applied research, assessment and planning, data services and technical assistance to help healthcare institutions, community-based organizations and government agencies improve their services and maximize impact. The cornerstone of ICH’s mission is a commitment to client engagement in all aspects of the TA process, community capacity building, and usability of findings. ICH’s values reflect a dedication to long-term partnerships, incorporating diverse perspectives, addressing social determinants of health, and using data to guide policy and action. Founded in 2000 by the Cambridge Health Alliance, Mount Auburn Hospital, and Massachusetts General Hospital, ICH works with clients locally and regionally on projects spanning a wide range of sectors and topic areas.
ORGANIZATION FUN FACTS
- Nearly half of our staff are able to facilitate discussions or conduct data collection activities in another language, primarily Spanish and Portuguese.
- Although most of our work focuses on local community health and healthcare systems, our experience has been wide ranging, from evaluating a handwashing project in Ghana, to assessing a college theater program, to conducting a study of public health laboratories.
QUOTES FROM CLIENTS
- “[ICH’s] approach involved an important combination of rigor, data-driven decision-making and shared learning, which fostered lasting, sustainable improvements in health center operations across the state”. – Health Plan program manager
- “[ICH’s] systematic approaches- with emphasis on direct patient and provider feedback, supported by relevant data, helped us improve our services in many areas. We could not ask for a more patient-centered and quality-focused partner. We continue to value every bit of our collaboration” – Senior Director at a hospital system.