The MAVEN Project provides much needed clinical expertise to underserved communities by leveraging engaged, highly-qualified volunteer physicians of all specialties. While the nation’s community clinics provide basic care to millions of uninsured and underinsured patients, access to specialty care is limited due to socioeconomic and geographic barriers. Utilizing telehealth technology, our advisory consultations fill gaps in immediate and longer term medical expertise, empowering primary care providers with additional skill and information for improved quality care. Our expert network consults on cases, provides peer-to-peer mentoring, and educates clinic providers to increase knowledge, improve service delivery, and support long-term capacity building.
WHAT MAKES THIS VENDOR UNIQUE
- The MAVEN Project is the only nonprofit that recruits highly respected physicians to volunteer their clinical expertise using telehealth technology nationally.
- While other programs place physicians in clinics, this model provides the volunteer flexibility to work from anywhere and at any time.
- Our mentoring program supports provider wellness and matches expert volunteers with frontline PCPs in an independent and non-judgmental manner.
- The MAVEN team is uniquely focused on meeting the needs of local PCPs at the time they need it, giving them practical advice they can immediately apply to their patient(s).
- Comprehensive care at the point of service improves patient outcomes and compliance, and arms PCPs with the knowledge and resources to provide a high quality of care.
A SUCCESSFUL TA EXPERIENCE
A clinic received several shipments of free, advanced diabetes medications but the on-site providers were inexperienced in choosing appropriate patients and doses. Our volunteer endocrinologist stepped in, guiding clinic staff on medication utilization and monitoring. The closet is emptying, the clinic providers are confidently prescribing, and patients are enjoying improved blood sugars and quality of life!
Telehealth technology is critical to our model as the crucial enabler that connects our volunteer specialty physician network to the primary care providers who desperately need their expertise in underserved clinics nationwide. The MAVEN Project leverages Software-as-Service (SAS)-based HIPAA-protected videoconferencing and phone and web-messaging to enable consults, education, and mentoring sessions. New platform enhancements facilitate conversations via “available now” prompting for immediate access to consults as well as improved secure asynchronous messaging facilitating quick questions, longer conversations, and improved prompt scheduling. Currently, this model is serving safety-net clinics in Massachusetts and eight other states across this country and continues to expand. Our goal is to increase our service in Massachusetts and other states and expand to all 50 states. Our work is not done until every clinic who needs our services has access to them.
The statements in this document are made solely by The MAVEN Project. No statement in this document should be construed as an official position of or endorsement by Abt Associates Inc. or the Massachusetts Executive Office of Health and Human Services.
ABOUT THE MAVEN PROJECT
The MAVEN Project (Medical Alumni Volunteer Expert Network) provides much needed clinical expertise to underserved communities by leveraging engaged, highly-qualified volunteer physicians (of all specialties). The MAVEN Project is a nonprofit health care organization that recruits best of class physicians to volunteer their clinical expertise via telehealth technology to populations seeking care at safety-net clinics to close the gaps on access to care. We facilitate timely access to medical expertise regardless of physical location by matching our national corps of engaged physician volunteers with organizations serving uninsured and Medicaid patients. The MAVEN Project focuses on increasing access to care, improving health outcomes, and increasing the knowledge capacity and supports for primary care providers.
Utilizing our cutting-edge telehealth technology, our specialty advisory consultations respond immediately to the needs of primary care providers (PCPs) serving MassHealth patients. Our model empowers primary care providers with the best clinical information to make patient care decisions at the right time.
ORGANIZATION FUN FACTS
- Our Founder and Board Chair has delivered 15,000 babies to date and the number continues to climb!
- Our CEO ran the 2018 Boston Marathon in hail, downpours, 30 mph headwinds, and freezing temperatures beating her previous time by 20 minutes!
QUOTES FROM CLIENTS
- “Great to have an affirming conversation with a seasoned professional.”
- “[Physician volunteer] made very helpful suggestions for this case. He was easy to talk to and the consultation was also brief, which helped me fit it into my busy day. I would definitely consult again.”
- “[Physician volunteer] was very generous with his time and provided several clinical pearls about epilepsy and tremors that are applicable to other patients with similar presentations. It was a real pleasure to work with him and we greatly appreciate his time.”