The success of accountable care in Massachusetts will hinge on aligning care transformation with the social, economic, and environmental contexts in which their members live. We bring an explicit health equity and health disparities reduction lens to its technical assistance partnering. We have a long track record of innovating strategies to detect, triage, and respond to people’s health-related social needs in ways that honor individual and family autonomy, bolster the workforce’s social determinants of health problem-solving “toolbox,” and advance partner organizations’ strategic goals. Our team is excited to work with partners who want to keep the “human” in “health and human services!”
WHAT MAKES THIS VENDOR UNIQUE
- We assure that all training, tools, and recommendations are current with dynamic, complex federal and state laws and policies governing consumer access to health-promoting benefits and services.
- The lens on all of our work is informed by nearly 10 years of participation in randomized controlled trials in MA, as well as our national experience supporting translation of key findings into a scalable model.
- We’ve been engaged and re-engaged by ACOs and CPs in multiple planning, pilot, and implementation phase projects to help ensure that new blueprints are sound and successful. We also continue to provide TA on a national demonstration project underway in CA, FL, and VT.
- Our services are provided by team members who bring strengths-based, trauma-informed lenses to member-centered work, as well as deep understanding of organizational imperatives and culture.
A SUCCESSFUL TA EXPERIENCE
We have successfully supported MA-based ACOs and CPs with a range of TA services in both planning and pilot phases, including social determinants of health system design, workforce training, and policy change engagement recommendations. We also are a TA provider in the national context. TA clients include Federally Qualified Health Center administrators and clinicians as well as additional cross-sector partners invested in better connecting families treated at (who in this context are generally low-income and often ELL) to resources that reduce housing instability, food insecurity, and energy insecurity.
The statements in this document are made solely by MLPB. No statement in this document should be construed as an official position of or endorsement by Abt Associates Inc. or the Massachusetts Executive Office of Health and Human Services.
MLPB (f/k/a Medical-Legal Partnership | Boston) equips health workforces with upstream problem-solving strategies that address people’s health-related social needs and improve social determinants of health. Leveraging our public interest law expertise, we advance health equity for individuals, families, and communities. MLPB provides a range of training and technical assistance services to bolster the ability of care teams to detect, triage, and address actionable health-related social needs in ways that keep individuals and families at the center of the problem-solving process and reduce health disparities to account for the complexities and costs confronting consumers burdened by many health-related social needs.
We are invested in supporting ACOs and CPs committed to best-practice, person-centered strategies in this new value-based frontier—especially as they build and support pioneering new care teams charged with this work. MLPB is well-positioned to support ACOs and CPs who appreciate the relationship between population management and health equity progress – related but distinct goals and efforts.
ORGANIZATION FUN FACTS
- We host regular, internal “DiversiTeas” that spotlight key challenges and best practices impacting culturally dexterous and inclusive service delivery.
QUOTES FROM CLIENTS
The following is a quote from a training attendee when asked “What was the most valuable thing you learned at today’s training?” The answer/quote: “EVERY. Single. Thing! Please offer training like this more often! Necessary for new employees.” – Family Support Worker Attendee of a Recent MLPB Family Law & Health training