We provided TA to a MassHealth ACO to help advance its efforts to address homelessness and housing insecurity among members, along with its overall strategy to develop and expand partnerships to access community-based affordable housing resources. We met with ACO staff to understand their knowledge of community resources available to respond to members’ housing-related needs, and of region-specific housing resource needs and gaps. We then produced comprehensive housing resource inventories for the ACO’s three service regions on availability, eligibility, and access to a variety of housing programs and supports to help Complex Care Management Teams better understand and navigate these resources. We also provided recommendations for building partnerships with housing entities, including those that administer critical affordable housing resources, to leverage existing resources and increase supply. This helped the ACO strengthen its ability to help homeless and housing insecure members stabilize their housing and health, and design future housing-related initiatives.
This TA Vendor has an Off the Shelf TA Project. Browse Off the Shelf TA.
WHAT MAKES THIS VENDOR UNIQUE
- Our consulting model is highly collaborative; we deploy teams of experts based on individual client need, drawing from our multi-disciplinary staff with expertise in mental health, substance use, health care integration, long-term care, homelessness, affordable housing, and Medicaid.
- Our staff have held key leadership roles within federal, state, and local government agencies, as well as within innovative nonprofit affordable housing and human services agencies, distinguishing us from organizations more limited in capacity.
- Staff’s hands-on experience with systems and programs aimed at improving the lives of low-income people with disabilities, people who experience homelessness, and individuals with complex care needs is complemented by a core group of subcontractors and consultants who have a wealth of experience from relevant national and Massachusetts-based organizational leadership and consulting work, including with many MassHealth ACOs and CPs.
A SUCCESSFUL TA EXPERIENCE
We provided TA and consultation to a large New Jersey-based community mental health center that wanted to assess its role in a changing environment. The agency functions as a traditional community mental health center and generally only provides site-based mental health services. Leadership at the agency was struggling to redefine its services in the larger health system and were becoming concerned about its viability as other similar mental health providers were beginning to coordinate with other health care and community providers. The agency requested TAC to facilitate leadership and Board training on emerging practices nationally regarding integrated healthcare delivery, performance measures and value-based payment arrangements, and to provide recommendations to assist their transition as a single purpose agency to an integral partner in the large health system. Among the initial outcomes, the TA has resulted in the incorporation of new primary care providers to address the mental health needs of the community being served, partnerships with the local Federally Qualified Health Center and local primary care practices, and a commitment to become licensed by the state to provide treatment for substance use disorders.
Beyond our direct consulting work, we work closely with federal agencies and national associations to help shape policy and practice in the areas of mental health, substance use disorders, Medicaid, homelessness, and affordable housing. Among the federal agencies include the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, the Substance Use and Mental Health Services Administration, and the Departments of Housing and Urban Development and Veterans Affairs. National associations we have worked with include the National Association of Medicaid Directors, National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors, National Governors Association, and the National Alliance to End Homelessness.
The statements in this document are made solely by Technical Assistance Collaborative. No statement in this document should be construed as an official position of or endorsement by Abt Associates Inc. or the Massachusetts Executive Office of Health and Human Services.
ABOUT TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE COLLABORATIVE
The Technical Assistance Collaborative, Inc. (TAC) is a national nonprofit organization with 28 years of experience providing TA and consulting services at the intersection of health, human services, and affordable housing policy, programs, and systems. TAC has worked with state Medicaid agencies, managed care entities, and ACOs in states around the country to improve the integration and coordination of care and services for states’ most vulnerable and costly populations, including those with behavioral health and other complex care needs and those experiencing homelessness or housing instability. Community-based providers turn to TAC for strategic planning, business development, quality improvement, and training to support effective implementation of evidence-based housing and integrated care strategies that lead to better individual, program, and system-level outcomes.
ORGANIZATION FUN FACTS
- In addition to having a home office in Boston, our remote staff work from Western Massachusetts, California, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.
- We have provided TA and consultation in all 50 states and several territories.
QUOTES FROM CLIENTS
“In our experience, TAC has demonstrated deep knowledge of the subject areas in which they provide TA and their staff come with years of direct, hands on experience running programs. TAC understands the challenges faced by their clients. This knowledge and expertise allows TAC to provide first rate TA and we have appreciated the opportunity to work with them.” – Recent TAC Client