We have extensive experience providing TA to healthcare organizations who want to implement practical strategies to eliminate racial and ethnic disparities in health care. We serve as a national, regional, and local resource for hospitals, community health centers, medical schools, health plans and insurers, consumer organizations, state and local governments, foundations, and others. Since 2007, we have provided TA through the Disparities Leadership Program, a year-long executive education program that has supported over 400 leaders from hospitals, health plans, and other health care organizations. We develop strong partnerships with organizations they engage with and create customized solutions to meet specific needs while delivering high-quality work products on time.
WHAT MAKES THIS VENDOR UNIQUE
- We have a unique history of engaging in work that bridges the gap between evidence-based research on disparities in health care and the practical solutions needed to eliminate disparities in the context of rapid healthcare transformation.
- We situate our efforts in the context of both historic and present-day policies and practices that perpetuate inequities in health care for racial and ethnic minorities, as well as other marginalized populations.
- We have provided TA on a broad range of topics, including strategic planning, leadership and change management, innovations in care delivery, administrative efficiency and effectiveness, and quality improvement, among others.
- We have led the field in monitoring and addressing disparities locally through the development of the MGH Annual Report on Equity in Health Care Quality, which publicly reports on key hospital quality indicators by race, ethnicity, and language.
- We provide training and TA nationally through the Disparities Leadership Program, a DSC webinar series and suite of publicly-available guides on topics in health disparities, and collaboration with national organizations and initiatives such as the American Hospital Association’s Institute for Diversity in Health Management, the Institute for Healthcare Improvement’s Pursuing Equity initiative, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Office of Minority Health, and Hospital Improvement Innovation Networks.
A SUCCESSFUL TA EXPERIENCE
In 2017-2018, we worked with the Health Services Advisory Group (HSAG) and Hospital Improvement Innovation Network (HIIN) hospitals in California to identify and address gaps in the race, ethnicity, and language (REaL) data collection processes among hospitals in the HIIN. We also provided TA to integrate health equity and REaL data collection strategies into HIIN education and trainings, and provided hospitals with strategies and tools for addressing gaps in REaL data collection, as well as strategies to reduce disparities and prevent avoidable readmissions.
The statements in this document are made solely by The Disparities Solutions Center. No statement in this document should be construed as an official position of or endorsement by Abt Associates Inc. or the Massachusetts Executive Office of Health and Human Services.
ABOUT THE DISPARITIES SOLUTIONS CENTER
The Disparities Solutions Center (DSC) at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) is dedicated to the development and implementation of strategies that advance policy and practice to eliminate racial and ethnic disparities in health care. The DSC is the first disparities action-oriented center based in a hospital, which helps them move the issue of disparities in health care beyond research and into the arenas of policy and practice. Launched in 2005, the Center serves as a resource for hospitals, physician practices, community health centers, medical schools, other health professions schools, health plans and insurers, consumer organizations, state and local governments, foundations, and other key health care stakeholders.
ORGANIZATION FUN FACTS
- The DSC models organizational diversity in terms of the race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, and socioeconomic background of its faculty and staff.
- DSC prioritizes the professional development of faculty, staff, interns, and associates from a diversity of backgrounds.
QUOTES FROM CLIENTS
- “Having participated in the Disparities Leadership Program (DLP) prepared me to feel more confident in facing organizational challenges. I feel I can speak with more authority than before. Where I’ve grown as a leader, we’ve been faced with all kinds of challenges, and we have met most of them successfully, that’s led to my growth and how I manage these challenges.”
- “The DLP helped us present comprehensive goals and objectives that the senior leadership really believed in. They saw it was important. I don’t think we would have had any type of program without the DLP.”
- “The DLP enabled me to show myself as a better qualified professional. I am able to say that I was a participant in a program with an excellent reputation whose members are national leaders, experts, and practitioners.”