The Transformation Center implements peer support services and training to develop a peer support workforce. We work with agency leadership, supervisors, and human resources departments, providing guidance on recruiting, hiring, job descriptions, universal accommodations, attention to culture/race/identity, and fully integrating peer support into service teams and agency culture. The Transformation Center builds collaboration by establishing a clear work plan and a productive and healing connection among those engaged in the work. This, combined with a trauma-informed lens, provides an approach to technical assistance that builds on existing strengths within the organization.
WHAT MAKES THIS VENDOR UNIQUE
- Working with the Transformation Center is collaborative in nature. We provide a menu of options and respond to the areas of need that leadership and staff identify.
- What inspires you in your work is what drives our approach to working together.
- Clients receiving technical assistance will experience active learning. We provide tools and a supporting environment to provide a productive space to adapt and grow.
- We identify the key investments of peer support that have the best impact on use and cost of care.
- In a word, our style is appreciative.
A SUCCESSFUL TA EXPERIENCE
Certified Peer Specialists were a new role within the service type. The payor was requiring that vendors include this new role in emergency teams. The Transformation Center provided information and support to supervisors, new CPSs on staff, and agency leaders by convening multidisciplinary teams, providing templates and examples of team structures. The process was both practical and engaged team creativity so that technical assistance attended to the immediate needs of both the individual and the organization.
The Transformation Center and SEAC will also provide support on access and inclusion when an organization is seeking to improve relevance of support in multicultural communities.
The statements in this document are made solely by The Transformation Center. No statement in this document should be construed as an official position of or endorsement by Abt Associates Inc. or the Massachusetts Executive Office of Health and Human Services.
ABOUT THE TRANSFORMATION CENTER
The Transformation Center is statewide peer-operated training, technical assistance, and peer support nonprofit. Staff work to transform policy and practice in communities and systems by integrating peer support among people in all stages of recovering mental health, freedom from addictions and healing from trauma. A nationally recognized leader in trauma-informed community work, The Transformation Center is also contracted by The Department of Mental Health to provide Certified Peer Specialist (CPS) training and certification.
The Southeast Asian Coalition (SEAC) of Massachusetts is a partner of The Transformation Center. SEAC’s expertise includes building deep trust in hard to reach communities with culturally responsive supports in safe environments. An award-winning cultural community-based non-profit organization, SEAC reaches 10,000 annually engaging Asian community members from nearly 20 ethnicities.
ORGANIZATION FUN FACTS
- The Transformation Center is staffed by people with lived experience of mental health, addiction, and/or trauma recovery and healing… and our furry or feathered friends come to work including Oreo, Luxy, Henry, Chloe, Arthur, Manny, Porky, Annie, Mango, Mochi, and Bunky.
- SEAC’s cultural gathering space is a healing place for displaced people from 20 countries, congregating to move their lives forward, and experience each other’s cultural heritage via the lion dance, weaving, cooking, storytelling, and more.
QUOTES FROM CLIENTS
“When we opened the new unit we got immediate feedback from both patients and staff about how peer support created a friendly connected feeling during a time that could have felt chaotic.”
“Thank you to SEAC for helping us reach the hard-to-reach communities. We met our goal to reach more than 97% of people in MA meet the ACA application deadline!!”
“We realized by restructuring outreach, we would use our CPSs more effectively. All of sudden we got surprising results and the whole team got excited again about working together.”