Mental Health Overview
This course is designed to provide non-clinical support for people living with mental health challenges. Participants will learn to recognize signs and symptoms of common mental health challenges, and how to provide coaching to support mental wellness in a culturally responsive and trauma-informed manner. Participants will examine personal and societal biases about mental illness and learn about the negative impact of stigma and how stigma can be challenged and reduced.
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of common mental health issues experienced by community members.
- Identify strategies to support a person experiencing mental health challenges.
- Learn the skills to interact in a trauma-informed manner.
- Understand the negative impact of stigma and how we can reduce stigma by examining personal biases, educating others, and engaging in advocacy.
- Demonstrate understanding of the non-clinical role in providing support for people experiencing symptoms of mental illness.